HotFreeBooks.com
The Fairfax County Courthouse
by Ross D. Netherton
Previous Part     1  2  3
Home - Random Browse

1788

Martin Cockburn William Lyles

(1793-1796 Fairfax County Court Order Books are missing.)

1797

Thompson Mason James Keith, Jr.

1798

Francis Adams John Stewart Alexander James Coleman Elisha C. Dick Charles Eskridge John Gunnell William Gunnell John Jackson William Lane, Jr. Ludwell Lee Richard Bland Lee Samuel Love John Potts, Jr. Richard Ratcliffe William Stanhope George Summers William H. Washington

1801

Francis Adams Charles Alexander John S. Alexander Charles Broadwater James Coleman Richard Conway William Deneale Elisha C. Dick Benjamin Dulany Charles Eskridge John Fitzgerald George Gilpin John Gunnell Thomas Gunnell William Gunnell William Herbert Robert T. Hooe John Jackson William Lane, Jr. Ludwell Lee Richard B. Lee Charles Little Samuel Love Daniel McCarty Thompson Mason George Minor John Moss William Payne John Potts, Jr. Richard Ratcliffe William Stanhope David Stewart (sic.) George Summers William H. Washington James Waugh John West Roger West James Wren Now dead: Love, Fitzgerald, T. Gunnell, R. West, J. Gunnell, J. S. Alexander, D. McCarty Now moved: Ludwell Lee Now refuses to qualify: Summers Now in D. C.: Gilpin, Hooe, Alexander, Conway, Herbert, Potts, Dick, Washington Now disqualified: Adams

1802

Augustine J. Smith Humphrey Peake John Keene James H. Blake

1803

Samuel Adams, Jr.

1804

Richard Coleman Spencer Jackson George Graham

1807

Present: William Gunnell, Jr. William Payne Wm. Deneale Augustine J. Smith Hancock Lee Humphrey Peake Spencer Jackson Absent: George Summers, Gentleman Persons to be recommended to the Governor as proper persons to be commissioned by him as Justices of the Peace, or added to the Commission of the Peace for the County: John C. Hunter John C. Scott Daniel McCarty Chichester Joseph Powell Edward Dulin James L. Triplett John Y. Ricketts George Mason

1808

Present: William Gunnell, Jr. James Waugh William Lane, Jr. Thomson Mason George Summers Humphrey Peake George Graham James L. Triplett Absent: James Coleman William Gunnell, Jr. David Stuart William Payne William Deneale Thompson Mason Richard Ratcliffe George Summers Augustine J. Smith James Waugh Hancock Lee Humphrey Peake George Graham John Coleman

Acting in 1816-17

James Coleman Wm. Lane, Jr. Thompson Mason Rich. Ratcliffe John Jackson Augustine J. Smith Rich. M. Scott Humphrey Peake Rich. Coleman Spencer Jackson John C. Hunter James L. Triplett John T. Ricketts Lawrence Lewis Wm. H. Terrett Henry Gunnell, Jr. Alex'r Waugh Geo. Minor Geo. Gunnell Francis L. Lee John W. Ashton Dan'l M. Chichester Geo. Taylor Wm. H. Foote James Waugh James Sangster Thomas Moss Dan'l Dulany Chas. G. Broadwater Wm. H. Fitzhugh

1819-1826

William A. G. Dade

Acting in 1824

Rich. Ratcliffe Rich. M. Scott Lawrence Lewis Spencer Jackson John C. Hunter James L. Triplett Alex'r Waugh Geo. Gunnell Geo. Mason Augst. J. Smith John W. Ashton Geo. Taylor Wm. H. Foote James Sangster Thos. Moss Dan'l Dulany Chas. L. Broadwater Wm. H. Fitzhugh Chas. F. Ford Benedict M. Lang Eli Offutt John Jackson Robt. Ratcliffe Chas. Ratcliffe Wm. E. Beckwith John Geanit Mottrom Ball Rich. C. Mason Joshua Hutchison Sam'l Summers

1831-1838

John Scott

Acting between 1825-42

Geo. Millan Silas Burke Rich. H. Cockerille Rich. C. Mason Dennis Johnston John D. Bell John Gunnell Frederick Carper Spencer M. Ball Edward Sangster James Millan Thomas Nevett John H. Halley Wm. Ball John Millan Geo. Mason John B. Hunter Henry Fairfax Wm. H. Alexander Frederick A. Hunter Wm. A. Chichester Alfred Moss Chas. C. Stuart James Hunter Benj. F. Rose James Cloud Fred. M. Ford Wm. R. Selectman Nelson Conrad W. W. Ball Jno. Powell Jno. A. Washington Wm. H. Wren

1839-52

John Scott John W. Tyler

1852-55

Silas Burke William Ball Wm. R. Selectman W. W. Ball John Millan Nelson Conrad William H. Wrenn James Hunter Ira Williams Thomas Suddath George H. Padgett James M. Benton John R. Dale Thos. A. Davis S. T. Stuart Levi Burke James Fox Robert M. Whaley Abner Brush John Cowling F. W. Flood Francis E. Johnston John W. Hickey R. C. Mason R. McC. Throckmorton W. W. Elzey Willis B. McCormick William Barker F. M. Ford Francis C. Davis John W. Hickey Spencer Jackson John N. Taylor John B. Farr J. C. Gunnell John R. Grigsby

1858-60

John C. Gunnell Tenley S. Swink Richard L. Nevitt Daniel Kincheloe Francis C. Davis Richard Johnson W. B. McCormick F. C. Davis Ira Williams Francis E. Johnston Geo. H. Padgett George Burke John Burke John Dole John A. Washington Alfred Leigh Francis C. Davis James Hunter W. B. McCormick William L. Lee Wm. W. Ellzey John Cowling Benjamin F. Shreve William S. Seitz James P. Machen George Padgett James Simpson —— Mann W. W. Ball Richard Johnston B. D. Utterback F. M. Ford Cyrus Hickey A. S. McKenzie R. C. Mason Henry Jenkins

1863-1867

Thomas P. Brown James H. Rice Wm. Terry Andrew Sagar Herain Cockrill Samuel Pullman Reuben Ives Daniel W. Lewis E. E. Mason Levi Dening Harry Bready William A. Ferguson William Walters William T. Rumsey Talmadege Thorne Courtland Lukens Metrah Makely John B. Troth George B. Ives Josiah B. Bowman Job Hawxhurst George F. M. Walters J. W. Barcroft George W. Millan Cyrus Hickey James C. Dentz B. D. Utterback Thomas E. Carper

1866

John Powell Lewis George Francis Davis

1867

T. Wm. Barcroft W. B. Bowman Thomas E. Carper Francis C. Davis James C. Dentz M. E. Fora Wm. E. Ford John B. Troth Job Hawxhurst George B. Ives Richard Johnson William Lee Alfred Leigh Courtland Lukens Metrah Makely E. E. Mason Samuel Pullman James H. Rice W. T. Rice Jonathan Roberts Silas Simpson Daniel Sims Cyrus Stickey B. D. Utterback Wm. F. McWalters

1868

T. Wm. Barcroft W. B. Bowman Thomas C. Carper N. P. Dennison Francis C. Davis James C. Dentz Wm. E. Ford John B. Troth Job Hawxhurst Richard Johnson George B. Ives Alfred Leigh Courtland Lukens Metrah Makely E. E. Mason Sam Pullman W. T. Rice Silas Simpson Daniel W. Sims Cyrus Stickey R. D. Utterback Geo. F. M. Walters

1869

T. Wm. Barcroft W. B. Bowman Jacob Brooks Carter Burton John L. Detwiler Wm. E. Ford John B. Troth George B. Ives Job Hawxhurst Richard Johnson Alfred Leigh Daniel W. M. Lewis Courtland Lukens E. E. Mason Samuel Pullman James H. Rice T. W. Rice Samuel Shaw Silas Simpson D. Sims Cyrus Stickey B. D. Utterback E. W. Wakefield Wm. Walters

1870

T. Wm. Barcroft W. B. Bowman Jacob Brooks Carter Burton George B. Ives Job Hawxhurst Courtland Lukens Samuel Pullman E. W. Wakefield Geo. F. W. Walters

1870-1874

Richard H. Cockerille

1874-1885

James Sangster

1886-1899

D. M. Chichester

1897-1903

James M. Love

Virginia Circuit Court Judges

John M. Tyler, 1852-1860 No record of a court held, 1861-1863 Edward K. Snead, 1864-1865 Henry W. Thomas, 1866-1868 W. Willoughby, June 1869 Lysander Hill, November 1869 James Keith, 1870-1894 C. E. Nicol, 1895-1907 Louis C. Barely, 1907 J. B. T. Thornton, 1908-1918 Samuel G. Brent, 1918-1928 Howard W. Smith, 1928-1930 Walter T. McCarthy, 1931-1944 Paul E. Brown, 1944-1966 Arthur W. Sinclair, 1950-1977 Harry L. Carrico, 1956-1961 Calvin Van Dyck, 1961-1967 Albert V. Bryan, Jr., 1962-1971 Barnard F. Jennings, 1964- James Keith, 1966- William G. Plummer, 1967- Lewis D. Morris, 1968- Percy Thornton, Jr., 1968-1977 Burch Millsap, 1968- James C. Cacheris, 1971- Thomas J. Middleton, 1975- Richard J. Jamborsky, 1976-

County General District Court

Robert Fitzgerald, 1951-1955 John Corboy, 1954-1955 John A. Rothrock, Jr., 1955- J. Mason Grove, 1955- Martin E. Morris, 1965- Donald C. Crounse, 1966-1974 Robert M. Hurst, 1972- Lewis Hall Griffith, 1974- G. William Hammer, 1976-

Juvenile Court Judges

Frank L. Deierhoi, 1965- Richard J. Jamborsky, 1968-1976 Philip N. Brophy, 1973- Arnold B. Kassabian, 1976- Raymond O. Kellam, 1976-1977



APPENDIX C

PORTRAITS IN THE OLD COURTHOUSE

James Roberdeau Allison, (1864-1927), was born in Orange County, Virginia, grew up in Centreville and taught school in Fairfax and Loudoun counties. He served the county as deputy treasurer, deputy sheriff and then was elected sheriff in 1904. Consistently re-elected, he was sheriff until his death.

Paul E. Brown, (1904-1968), was born in Oklahoma, and moved to Fairfax County with his family in 1919. He served as commonwealth attorney for three terms and was appointed judge of the Fairfax County Circuit Court in 1944. He served as senior court judge from 1951 until his death.

Daniel McCarty Chichester, (1834-1897), was born in Fairfax County, served in the Confederate army and later taught school in Maryland and Tennessee. He practiced law and was for a short time superintendent of schools and a delegate to the state legislature. He was elected judge of Fairfax and Alexandria (Arlington) counties in 1886 and served until his death.

Bryan Fairfax, (1737-1802), was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia and grew up at Belvoir, in Fairfax County. He was a justice of the Fairfax County court and was ordained as an Episcopal minister, serving as rector of Fairfax Parish 1790-1792. He held the title of eighth Lord Fairfax, Baron of Cameron, from 1800 until his death.

Thomas, sixth Lord Fairfax, Baron of Cameron, (1693-1781) was born at Leeds Castle in Kent, England and immigrated to Fairfax County in 1747. In 1749, he was commissioned a justice of the peace in each county within the entire Northern Neck, of which he was proprietor. He was a trustee of the town of Alexandria and in 1754 became commandant of the frontier militia. He lived at Belvoir until 1761, when he moved to "Greenway Court," his estate in the Shenandoah Valley where he spent the remainder of his life.

C. Vernon Ford, (1871-1922), was born in the town of Fairfax, and practiced law with his cousin, Joseph E. Willard. Ford was appointed commonwealth's attorney for Fairfax County in 1879 and, later elected, served in this capacity until his death.

William Edwin Graham, (1850-1916), was born in Fairfax County. He succeeded his father as clerk of the circuit court in 1887, serving until 1904, at which time he became deputy clerk under F. W. Richardson, serving in this position until his death.

George Johnston, (1700-1766), was a son of Dr. James Johnston, who settled in Maryland in the seventeenth century. He was a trustee of Alexandria and practiced law there and in Winchester. He represented Fairfax County in the House of Burgesses from 1758 until his death and was the author of certain resolutions presented by Patrick Henry in 1765, in opposition to the Stamp Act.

Walter Jones, (1776-1861), was born in Northumberland County, Virginia and practiced law in Fairfax and Loudoun counties. Appointed U. S. attorney for the District of Columbia, 1804-1821, he practiced law before the U. S. Supreme Court and in Virginia and Maryland. He was one of the founders of the American Colonization Society. At the time of his death, he was Major-General of the militia of the District of Columbia.

William Henry Fitzhugh Lee, (1837-1891), was born at "Arlington." He rose to the rank of Major-General of cavalry in the Confederate army. After the Civil War, he was elected a state senator and then a congressman. He died at "Ravensworth" in Fairfax County while serving his second term in congress.

George Mason, (1725-1792), the fourth of that name in the Virginia colony was born on Dogue's Neck, now Mason Neck, then in Stafford County, but now in Fairfax County. He was a justice of the county for most of his adult life, and a trustee of the town of Alexandria. He built his home, "Gunston Hall" in 1758. In 1774, he was the principal author of the Fairfax Resolves, and in 1776, the principal writer of the Virginia constitution and declaration of rights. The first ten amendments of the constitution were added, in part, because of his insistence on the necessity for a federal bill of rights.

Robert Walton Moore, (1859-1941), was born in the town of Fairfax, and practiced law in the county. He served as a state senator and as a congressman. In 1933 he was appointed an assistant secretary of state, and in 1937, he became counselor of the Department of State. Throughout his adult life he was a member of numerous boards and commissions including the boards of visitors of the University of Virginia and the College of William and Mary.

Ferdinand Dawson Richardson, (—— -1880), entered the clerk's office in 1826 under William Moss, clerk, and served as an assistant clerk or deputy clerk until 1870, when he was appointed clerk of the court, which position he held until his death.

Frederick Wilmer Richardson, (1853-1936), was born in Fairfax, and was the son of F. D. Richardson. He was deputy clerk under his father for nine years, succeeding him in 1880. Elected to the new position of clerk of the Circuit Court in 1881, he served in that capacity until 1887, and again from 1904 to 1935.

Henry Wirt Thomas, (1812-1890), was born in Loudoun County, Virginia. He served as commonwealth's attorney in Fairfax and was elected to the state legislature for a number of terms between 1841 and 1875. Following the Civil War, he was appointed judge of the Ninth Circuit Court of Virginia and later appointed lieutenant governor to fill out an unexpired term.

John Webb Tyler, (1795-1862), served Fairfax County as a judge in the circuit court of Virginia from 1850-1861. The circuit included Fairfax, Prince William, Loudoun and Fauquier counties and the quarterly courts were held at the county seats, including Fairfax Court House.

George Washington, (1732-1799), was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia, and moved to "Mount Vernon" in Fairfax County when he was sixteen. He became a surveyor, was elected a burgess, and appointed a justice of the Fairfax County court. During the American Revolution, he was appointed commander-in-chief of the armed forces of the united colonies. He was elected the first president of the United States of America under the new constitution in 1789, and again in 1793.

Joseph Edward Willard, (1865-1924), was born in Washington, D. C. He practiced law, and was lieutenant governor of Virginia, 1902-1906. President Woodrow Wilson appointed him minister to Spain in 1913; later he was elevated to ambassador to Spain. He owned the Willard Hotel in Washington, but lived part of his life in the town of Fairfax, at "Layton Hall."



APPENDIX D

CLERK'S OFFICE

Excerpt from the Alexandria Gazette and Virginia Advertiser July 15, 1853.

NOTICE TO BUILDERS—Sealed proposals will be received by the undersigned, Commissioners, until Saturday, the 16th day of July next, at 12 o'clock M, for taking down the present Clerk's office of the Circuit Court of Fairfax County, and rebuilding it on the same ground, with the materials and of the size and description, following, to wit: The foundation wall to be 2 feet below the surface, and 15 inches thick, of good stone, laid in mortar—the walls above the ground to be laid on the stone foundation, of brick, fourteen inches thick, and laid in good mortar,—the building to be 36 feet long by 24 feet wide including the walls, two stories high, and of the height of the present building, with a passage of entry 12 feet wide, adjoining the County Court office; the passage wall also resting on a stone foundation and running from bottom to top—doors at each end of the entry, and one door to each of the rooms—each room to have four windows, twenty lights and 8 x 10 glass. The outer doors and window frames to be of cast iron, with stone sills, and the doors and window shutters to be covered with sheet iron, so as to be fire proof. The joists to be 2 x 10 inches, 16 inches apart on the lowest floor, resting upon a girder 6 x 12 inches; on the upper, without a girder, but properly braced, and the flooring of the rooms to be of the best North Carolina boards, planed, tongued and grooved, and one and a quarter inches thick. The entry floor of best flagging brick, and the stairway of stone. The roofing to be of slate, of good quality, and the rafters to be substantially framed, and suitable for slate roof. To each of the rooms there is to be a fireplace. The woodwork is to be of the best material and workmanship, and corresponding with the other work. The house is to be guttered, and the iron, wood, and guttering to have two coats of paint on it. Each door to be provided with suitable locks, the house walls plastered, and the whole completed on or before the last day of January 1854, at which time the work if approved by the Commissioners, and also by the Court, will be paid for. The proposals will state what the entire work will be done for, including the furnishing of all materials and labor, and, also, including the taking down of the old building and the use of such of the old materials as can be used for rebuilding; also for what the work will be done without regard to the old building, either in taking down or the use of old materials. Notice to the successful bidder will be given within five days after opening the bids, and bond with security required from the person to whom the contract may be awarded, but the Commissioners reserve the right to reject all. For further information, apply to either of the undersigned at Fairfax Court House.

. NEWMAN BURKE ) GEO. W. HUNTER, JR. ) Comm'rs ALFRED MOSS )



APPENDIX E

COURTHOUSE RESTORATION

SCHEDULE OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED IN THE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE FAIRFAX COUNTY COURTHOUSE, 1967

The following list comprises the schedule of work to be performed in the reconstruction of the Fairfax County Courthouse as set forth in the drawings prepared by Walter M. Macomber, architect for the project, in December 1965:

DEMOLITION—Remove main floor, subfloor and joists, taking care to leave two columns supporting balcony, and beams beneath floor untouched. Remove all material in such a manner as to be re-usable if suitable.

Remove all woodwork within building: wainscot, railings, bench, window & door casing, etc. Remove all frame partitions.

Remove cantilevered forward section of balcony back to existing beam, including stair.

Remove existing segmental-top two-storey windows at sides of building. Remove sash only from existing small windows, unless jambs are rotted or otherwise found unsuitable for re-use.

Carefully remove all finished flooring in balcony and porch chamber, taking care not to damage subfloor.

All heating pipes shall be removed and temporarily capped off below the first floor. All electrical wiring shall be removed and recapped below the first floor level except such as shall be needed for power tools, etc.

Contractor shall carefully remove all existing monuments and plaques within building, securely store them, and reset them upon completion at direction of architect.

MATERIALS—All new joists and studs shall be of construction grade fir, free of all parasites & decay, having a moisture content no greater than 18%.

All new subfloor to be 5/8" plyscord.

Apply sisalcraft paper between subfloor and finished floor.

All flooring shall be 25/32" x 5-1/2" tongue and groove clear southern long leaf yellow pine, with relieved back & face edges slightly eased. The use of resawn used mill framing obtained from demolition companies is recommended in order to obtain straight grain. Architect must be submitted samples of flooring for his approval before use. No pieces shorter than eight feet will be used, except where necessary at juncture of floor & wall. All stair treads shall be of 1' 8" thick clear yellow pine, bull-nosed.

All interior woodwork to be of clear western white pine, S 4 S, of thickness as shown on plans.

Wainscot shall be of 3/4' thick by 3-5/8", 5-1/2" & 7-1/2" clear white pine, tongue & grooved, with a 1/4" bead on one face edge.

Doors, windows (sash & jamb) & balusters will be of clear western white pine. Front door jamb shall be of 1-5/8 th. clear yellow pine. Interior jambs of 1-1/8" th. Cl. yellow pine.

Pew material to be of 1-1/8" clear yellow pine, S 4 S.

Rails to be birch for staining.

Moisture content for all to be no greater than 12%.

FOUNDATION WORK—Point up all existing foundations, piers, footings, etc. in basement and crawl space.

Replace all supporting beams rotted or otherwise unsuitable for re-use.

Excavate existing crawl space to a minimum of three feet below joists, and cover with 2-1/2-3" thick broom finished concrete slab, on 4 mil polyethylene film.

Move existing basement stair to location on plan, and floor-over opening thus made to top of stairs.

MASONRY—Carefully remove several sample face bricks from existing sidewalls, clean all but weather-face, and submit to Locher Brick Co., Glasgow, Va. for duplication.

Remove segmental arches above two storey window openings, and extend window openings to same height as those of porch chamber windows. Using existing downstairs window sills, brick-in two rough openings required by new windows. Set steel lintels as called for on plan, and brick between vertical window openings. Take care that the new brickwork appears continuous with existing masonry & is properly toothed & bonded. Architect shall approve colour of mortar and duplicated brick before setting in place.

Repoint or rebuild existing chimneys & fireplaces. Build new hearths of duplicated brick for downstairs fireplaces.

Repoint all existing brickwork, interior & exterior, as may be requisite.

WEATHERSTRIPPING—All double-hung windows shall be weatherstripped with "Chamberlain" No. 100-A Zinc Heavy-Duty, full-sash units, with protection at head, meeting rail & sill.

Front entrance door shall have spring bronze weatherstripping all around, except at sill which is to receive "Chamberlain" No. 869-A narrow brass threshhold with No. 826 bronze door hook.

INSULATION—Entire building to be covered with 4" thick batts of rock-wool or fibre-glass, combination aluminum foil insulation, applied immediately over lath between ceiling joists.

PAINTING & DECORATING—All woodwork, interior or exterior, shall be back primed with white lead before erection.

All exterior woodwork to receive two coats of white lead in oil. Remove loose or heavy accumulations of paint from existing woodwork before painting.

All interior woodwork to receive one coat of primer, one coat half primer & half enamel & finish coat of semi-gloss enamel.

Plaster surfaces, when thoroughly dry, shall be washed with zinc sulphate neutralizer. First paint coat shall be wall size and primer. Second coat two parts flat wall paint & one part size. Finish with egg-shell wall paint. Plaster cornice to receive first coat of size, second coat half size & half enamel. Finish coat semi-gloss enamel. Architect shall select all colours.

FLOOR FINISHING—Floors shall be lightly sanded to remove stains and imperfections & to reasonably level. Floors shall be stained, filled, shellaced and waxed. Colour of stain shall be selected by architect.

LATHING & PLASTERING—All interior surfaces of exterior masonry walls shall receive 3/8" gypsum lath securely nailed to 1" x 2" wood furring strips anchored to masonry. Coat masonry before furring with "Thoroseal" from Standard Dry Wall Products Co., New Eagle, Penna.

Entire ceiling to be lathed with high-rib metal lath securely nailed directly to ceiling joists. Stud partitions to receive 3/8" gypsum lath. Ceiling of porch to receive high-rib metal lath applied over existing wood ceiling. All inside corners to receive expanded metal cornerite. Outside corners to receive metal corner bead. Apply strips of metal lath 6" wide over openings in stud partitions.

All plaster cornices shall be run in place and formed over heavy gauge metal lath, with moulding plaster. All surfaces to be plastered minimum 3/4" thick (including lath) in two coats; Brown & finish white. White coat to have smooth float sand finish.

GLAZING—All windows to be glazed with 9" x 10-3/4" welded glass edge or metal edged insulating glass one-half inch thick composed of two sheets of 1/8" double strength "A" window glass with one-quarter inch air space between. All glass to be set in frames with glaziers points. Back-bed w/thin coating of elastic glazing compound and putty-in smoothly.

SCREENING—All louvres in cupola to be back screened with fine mesh, copper screen wire.

FINISHED HARDWARE—All hinges, locks, latches, shutter hardware, etc. shall be selected by the architect. Allow $400.00 for finished hardware.



LIST OF SOURCES

BOOKS

Black, J. B. The Reign of Elizabeth, 1558-1603. Oxford: Oxford University, 1936.

Bruce, P. A. Institutional History of Virginia in the Seventeenth Century. New York: Putnam, 1910.

Catton, Bruce. A Stillness at Appomatox. New York: Cardinal Giant Edition, Pocket Books, Inc., 1958.

Clark, Sir Kenneth. Civilisation. New York: Harper & Row, 1969.

Cresswell, Nicholas. The Journals of Nicholas Cresswell, 1774-1777. Pt. Washington, N. Y.: Kennikat Press, 1968.

Davis, Jefferson. The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government. New York: Yoseloff, 1958.

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. Industrial and Historical Sketch of Fairfax County, Virginia. Fairfax: County Board of Supervisors, 1907.

Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce. Historic, Progressive Fairfax County in Old Virginia. Alexandria: Newell-Cole. 1928.

Fennelly, Catherine. The New England Village Scene: 1800. Sturbridge: Old Sturbridge Village, 1955.

Fleming, Walter L. The Sequel of Appomatox. New Haven: Yale University, 1921.

Fletcher, Sir Banister. A History of Architecture. New York: Scribners, 1961.

Freeman, Douglas S. George Washington: A Biography: Young Washington. New York: Scribner, 1948.

Hall, Wilmer, ed. Executive Journals of the Council of Colonial Virginia. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1945.

Harrison, Fairfax. Landmarks of Old Prince William. Richmond: Old Dominion Press, 1924. Reprint Berryville, Va.: Chesapeake Book Co., 1964.

Hiden, Martha. How Justice Grew: Virginia Counties: An Abstract of Their Formation. Williamsburg: Virginia 350th Anniversary Celebration, 1957.

A Hornbook of Virginia History. Richmond: Virginia State Library. [1965].

Kuhlman, Charles. The Development of the Flour-Milling Industry in the United States. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1929.

Martin, Joseph. Gazetteer of Virginia and the District of Columbia. Charlottesville, 1835.

McDanel, Ralph. The Virginia Constitutional Convention of 1891-92. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1928.

McIlwaine, H. R., ed. Journals of the House of Burgesses, 1742-49. Richmond, 1909.

Minutes of the Vestry, Truro Parish, Virginia, 1732-1785. Lorton, Va.: Pohick Church, 1974.

Moore, Gay M. Seaport on the Potomac. Richmond: Garrett & Massie, 1949.

Morison, Samuel E. and Commager, Henry S. The Growth of the American Republic. New York: Oxford, 1937.

O'Neal, William. Architecture in Virginia. New York: Walker, 1968.

Payne, Lloyd. The Miller in Eighteenth Century Virginia. Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg, 1963.

Porter, Albert O. County Government in Virginia. New York: Columbia University Press, 1947.

Powell, Mary G. The History of Old Alexandria, Virginia from July 13, 1749 to May 24, 1861. Richmond: William Byrd Press, 1928.

Programme of the Virginia Good Roads Convention. Roanoke: Stone Printing Co. [1894].

Prussing, Eugene E. The Estate of George Washington, Deceased. Boston: Little, Brown, and Co., 1927.

Rives, William C. History of the Life and Times of James Madison. Boston: Little, Brown, 1873.

Roman, Alfred. Military Operations of Gen. Beauregard. New York: Harper & Bros., 1884.

Rust, Jeanne. History of the Town of Fairfax. Washington: Moore & Moore, 1960.

Steadman, Melvin. Falls Church by Fence and Fireside. Falls Church, Va.: Falls Church Public Library, 1964.

Sydnor, Charles. American Revolutionaries in the Making. New York: Collier, 1962.

Wayland, John. History of Rockingham County, Virginia. Dayton, Va.: Ruebush-Elkins, 1912.

ARTICLES

Anderson, Robert. "The Administration of Justice in the Counties of Fairfax, and Alexandria and the City of Alexandria." Arlington Historical Magazine, II (1961): 1.

Andrews, Marshall. "A History of Railroads in Fairfax County." Yearbook of the Historical Society of Fairfax County," III (1954): 30-31.

Burke, Elizabeth. "Our Heritage: A History of Fairfax County." Yearbook of the Historical Society of Fairfax County. 1956-7.

Chapman, Thomas, Jr. "The Secession Election in Fairfax County, May 23, 1861." Yearbook of the Historical Society of Fairfax County, IV (1955): 50.

Hyman, Sidney. "Empire of Liberty." With Heritage So Rich. New York: Random House, 1966.

"Letters of George Mason to Zachariah Johnston." Tyler's Quarterly Review, V. (January 1924.)

"Martha Washington's Will and the Story of its Loss and Recovery by Fairfax County." Yearbook of the Historical Society of Fairfax County, Virginia, II (1952-53): 40-62.

Moore, William C. "Jeremiah Moore: 1746-1815." William and Mary Quarterly, 2d ser. XIII, 18, 21.

Smith, Governor William. "The Skirmish at Fairfax Court House." The Fairfax County Centennial Commission. Vienna, Virginia: 1961.

University of Virginia Newsletter. Charlottesville: Institute of Government, University of Virginia. XLIII (July 15, 1967): 1.

Whiffen, Marcus. "The Early Courthouses of Virginia." Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians. XVIII (March 1959): 1.

PUBLIC RECORDS

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Annual Report, 1969.

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Minute Books

Fairfax County Court Minute Books

Fairfax County Deed Books

Fairfax County Record of Surveys, 1742-1850.

Northern Neck Grant Books

Virginia Laws

INTERVIEWS AND UNPUBLISHED WORKS

Architectural drawings, 1951-1956, Facilities Management Office, County of Fairfax.

Artemel, Janice, "James Wren, Gentleman Joiner," (unpublished manuscript) Falls Church, Va., 1976.

Chapman, Thomas. Fairfax County, Virginia. Interview, 13 February 1970.

Feiss, Carl. "Court Houses of Virginia," lecture. Latrobe (Washington) Chapter, Society of Architectural Historians, 8 November 1968.

Macomber, Walter. Fairfax, Virginia. Interview, 2 March 1970.

Moger, Allen W. "The Rebuilding of the Old Dominion," (unpublished doctoral dissertation) Columbia University, 1940.

Sprouse, Edith M., ed. Fairfax County Abstracts: Court Order Books 1749-1792.

NEWSPAPERS

Alexandria Gazette

Columbia Mirror & Alexandria Advertiser

Fairfax County Free Press

Fairfax Herald

Fairfax News

Northern Virginia Sun

Virginia Gazette

Washington Post



BOARD OF SUPERVISORS

John F. Herrity, Chairman Martha V. Pennino, Vice-Chairman Joseph Alexander Warren I. Cikins Alan H. Magazine Audrey Moore James M. Scott John P. Shacochis Marie B. Travesky

HISTORY COMMISSION

Edith M. Sprouse, Chairman Donie Rieger, Vice-Chairman Bernard N. Boston C. J. S. Durham William Elkjer Denzil O. Evans Mary M. Fahringer Ceres Gaskins John P. Liberty Virginia B. Peters Mayo S. Stuntz Charles Cecil Wall

ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW BOARD

John J. Gattuso, Chairman Glenn Ovrevik, Vice-Chairman Thomas Cagley Donald C. Cannon Donald R. Chandler Donovan E. Hower Louis Papa S. Richard Rio James D. Webber Mary M. Fahringer, ex officio

OFFICE OF COMPREHENSIVE PLANNING

Theodore J. Wessel, Director Peter T. Johnson, Branch Chief Nan Netherton, Historian Elizabeth David, Historic Preservation Planner Donald Sweig, Research Historian Jay Linard, Copy Editor Annette Thomas, Copy Preparation Gloria Matthews, Designer Robin Pedlar, Assistant



TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE. Copyright material in the original (the image on p. 76) has been omitted from this ebook. No anchors for footnotes 54 and 163 are present in the text. Discrepancies have been preserved between titles in the List Of Illustrations and the illustrations themselves.

THE END

Previous Part     1  2  3
Home - Random Browse